Monday, July 20, 2009

Don't Want Don't Ask


There is something that I hate more than anything; people who don't take criticism gratefully. It honestly drives me insane. A lot of times people will ask for advice whether it be writing, or cooking or their life. It's always an honor to be considered to do such a task, but a lot of times, after spending time and effort to read and make suggestions, the writer ends up getting offended. I am a very honest person and truly want people to better themselves at whatever they are asking for me to review, so whatever advice I give, you damn well know that I took a lot of time to consider everything and give an honest answer.

It is well known that anyone who does this for you, is trying to help.They take time and energy out of their day to help you fix whatever you are presenting to them. If they didn't care, they wouldn't do it. So why is it, that every time there is negative criticism, the person gets incredibly offended and either accuses you of being mean or telling you that they don't care? Am I supposed to praise them for something I honestly don't think deserves it?

Example, I was reading a story the other day for someone who wanted for me to give some sort of advice. I finally got around to it, and found some things to be a bit weak, so I told them. My response? "I don't care." Well that was the response in not such a polite way. I really got confused on that one. If you can't handle the truth, then stop asking for feedback. That is something I have always been taught. I don't know, maybe I am wrong?

Photo Credit: http://www.fotosearch.com/bthumb/RBL/RBL008/b12562.jpg