Monday, June 14, 2010

Child From Below

Remember When?

I was in the car with my mom today, talking about my numerous job experiences as a teenager, but there is one that I cannot seem to shake. Sure, every job has taught me something new, and even though there were some challenges, I usually valued my experience. Out of the experiences I have had, I will never forget family X and the day I was hired to watch their child.

It Begins

I was looking for a job to supplement my income at the local grocery store I was working at, so when this new opportunity for a babysitting job came along, I jumped at the chance. Little did I know, I would be ready to run in the other direction. The family seemed like the all dandy type at first, they had nice cars, a huge house, polished children, a backyard and a small dog to match. I was young, I was excited, I was stupid.

Before I get into this story any further, I understand not all families are raised the same, but this family's method was so off beat from how I was raised, I would leave with my head spinning at the end of the day. My job was to watch their small child who was a toddler, whom we will call mini X. This child was a force to be reckoned with. Mini X probably holds the record for number of tantrums thrown in five hours. She was over privileged and under disciplined. Everything was either Mini's way or the highway. There was no reasoning with this child and punishment was not an option, because the longest timeout I had seen for Mini X was a whopping 30 seconds. When I was that age, I sat in time out until I had learned my lesson. I was beginning to cherish the times when I would work my other menial job.

Can I Quit Yet?

Time passed, and I had quit my other job so I could help out at home, so my main priority was watching Mini X and praying that I would last another day. I was quickly tiring of the facade I was putting on for this family. The day I snapped was when Mrs. X decided to have an input in my future career and tell me it was a bad idea because it didn't make enough money and it was hard. I could take laying in bed with Mini X until she fell asleep in her queen sized bed and I was even becoming numb to the tantrums. To insult my personal life though, that was the last straw. I needed an escape. Back then, I didn't have the guts to just up and quit, so I was struggling. Lucky for me, I caught a break. When the Xs called to say they needed someone more permanent, I couldn't have been happier. Who cared if I was going to be broke for a bit? I would live with less stress and more quiet, and that's the way I like it.